Register. Free!  

CarSalesIndia.com
You are here Home My CarSalesIndia Forums Latest Technology and Technical Advances ABS - Anti-lock brake system

Topic ABS - Anti-lock brake system

Unanswered Topics   Latest Topics   Search   Follow This Topic 

ABS - Anti-lock brake system

Mod1
User Profile Image for Mod1 - CarSalesIndia.com

Total Posts: 49

Anti-lock brake system or in short abs is a mechanism that allows a driver to change direction of a car while braking hard, it stops wheel lock and skidding when sudden brakes are applied.

The way it acheives this is by releasing the brakes intermittently in order to allow the wheel to rotate and gain traction.

A simple way to put this is, when a tyre is skidding, it doesnt matter which way the wheel is facing, whichever way the weight of the car is pushing will be the direction in which the car drags along.

In essence abs allows effective braking along with the capability to steer clear of obstructions ahead during a sudden brake.

Abs in recent times has evolved and is commonly found along with EBD or ESC. Electronic brake distribution or Electronic stability control. I will explain those in a seperate topic. If you have any questions or didnt understand let me know and I can clear your questions.

Together We Can Drive It

User Profile Image for Moderator - CarSalesIndia.com

Total Posts: 27

ABS and EBD work hand in hand. Here is the full article on EBD.

Electronic Brakeforce Distribution

Together We Can Drive It

Mamtakumari
User Profile Image for Mamtakumari - CarSalesIndia.com

Total Posts: 16

Anti-lock braking system (ABS) is an automoble safty system that allows the wheels on a motor vehicle to maintain tractive contact with the road surface according to driver inputs while bracking, preventing the wheels from locking up (ceasing rotation) and avoiding uncontrolled skidding. It is an automated system that uses the principles of threshhold braking and cadence braking which were practised by skilful drivers with previous generation braking systems.

Together We Can Drive It

mamta kumari(443404)
User Profile Image for mamta kumari(443404) - CarSalesIndia.com

Total Posts: 63

ABS & EBD both are the safety features in automobiles. Of course these features are necessary in car as they help in reducing the possibility of car accident. ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System) is a system which prevents the wheels of a moving vehicle from ceasing while braking thus reducing the great cause of accident. EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution) is also an automobile brake technology that varies the amount of force applied to each of a vehicle’s brakes, based on road conditions, speed, loading, etc. EBD is always coupled with ABS to maintain vehicular control with variation in braking pressure applied to each wheel.

Together We Can Drive It

Reply To This Topic